February 21, 2012

A Wonderful Story

This past weekend, I went on my youth retreat.  And I've never gone on any of them before (by choice).  This weekend was not the best weekend I've ever had, but it was still pretty darn good.  The speaker was just a little bit off his rocker (okay, maybe a lot, but he was crazy for Jesus, so that's a good thing), and throughout five sessions over the entire weekend, we probably repeated a phrase close to twenty times.  Want to know what the phrase is?  "The Gospel is the most beautiful, true story ever told about the most heroic, courageous, committed man who ever lived."  I have never felt closer to God than on that retreat.  I think my youth pastor told us we all probably would, and that it wasn't enough to only be close to Him for one weekend.  It needed to last for our entire lives.  Did you know that 75-85% of all teens fall away from the church when they go to college?  If you're a Christian, I challenge you to help me break that pattern.  Make the numbers higher of those who keep their faith in Christ and stay a Christian.

Oh, yeah, someone remind me to tell you in a few days this funny story that our speaker-his name was Chuck-told us.  There was something else he made us repeat a ton: "You'll do anything for the one you love the most."  It kind of goes along with his story.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun my church has done a youth retreat yet because we just got new youth pastors but it seems like they have great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on my youth groups retreat and had a good time! It sounds like you had fun too and I appreciate your post on that fact about how many teens fall away from God.
    July

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that teens fall away. Thanks for the info. Glad you had fun at your retreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally old enough to go to the teen youth things--the kids ones just didn't seem right for someone like me. That is just terrible, that college fact. They're too busy getting drunk, doing drugs, and Being bad. Too high too realize they once followed God. ): sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really sad...It makes me want to go out there and pray with people, share the Bible with them! So sad...

      Delete
  5. Isn't it crazy that so many fall away? I'll definitely try and break that pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandra, that's awesome!! **cheering for you all I'm proud of you guys. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so sad that college students can't stay connected to God when they leave... I refuse to let that happen to me when I go to college.

    ReplyDelete