July 6, 2012

Political Tirade

All right, y'all, this post is probably going to be my most controversial yet.  I had a literature paper due and I could choose one of three topics.  The one I chose? "Three things I love about the United States and three thing you would like to be different."  I wrote this entire essay in about forty minutes (give or take a little), so if it's not perfect, don't hate on me for that.  Oh, yeah, and it was technically only supposed to be two pages, so I was pushing it by going onto three pages, so if some of my points aren't backed up with research, well...I either know from experience or I didn't have space to put a lot of research (plus this was supposed to be an essay, not a research paper).  I'm already used to haters for my writings and other stuff, so I figured I might as well acquire some haters for my political views!  That's why I'm posting my literature paper here for you.  If you don't want to read my political tirade, I get it.  Feel free to skip this post.  I will publish any comments-even degrading ones-as long as you keep the language clean.  I want people to see what abuse conservatives get.  I will also accept critiques, not on my political views, but on my writing style and such.  I want to know if my paper is well-written (especially for being done in under an hour).  So...here we go.  You can decide for yourself if I'm either crazy...or incredibly brave.


America—What I Like and What I Detest

By Emma



Nothing can be perfect.  However, we all have pictures of perfection and what we would like our nation to be like.  Of course, there are things we generally like about the country in which we live, too.

The first thing I like about living in the United States is freedom of religion.  That’s partly why some of the original colonists came here—freedom to worship God the way they pleased and not how the king of England demanded.  I enjoy being able to choose which Christian church to attend.  I enjoy being able to freely speak my mind about what I believe and being able to take my Bible wherever I go (of course, it’s on my iPad, and I generally bring that with me wherever I go, so by proxy, my Bible comes with).  I can pray at a restaurant before I eat, and I can’t get in trouble for it.  I mean, sure there’s religious freedom in several other countries, but I don’t think they’re as loose as we are, and there are many nations where Christians are persecuted harshly.

Second, I like the education opportunities here in America.  I can choose from a multitude of colleges or I can even choose a trade school.  As for lower education, I can be homeschooled!  There are fewer restrictions in the United States for homeschoolers.  Other countries are much stricter when it comes to their homeschooling citizens.  I wouldn’t trade anything for being homeschooled because I wouldn’t thrive in a public school.  I would wither like a flower during a drought.

The final thing I love about the United States is, for the most part, the Lord has blessed our country.  We have become a world power—albeit, that status is slipping—and we’ve only been a nation for 229 years (although that’s long, compared to a lot of the newer countries).  One of my personal beliefs is that God has blessed America because we have blessed His people, the Jews.  As long as we bless them, He’ll bless us. (That includes the theory of why Germany suffered so much during the World Wars).  So why is the U.S. failing now?  Well, we’re separating ourselves from Israel; thus, I don’t think God feels we’re blessing them.  But that’s another topic.  Ultimately, God has blessed the United States of America.

So then what do I dislike about America?  Well, it’s kind of hard to choose just three things because there is so much wrong with our nation at the moment.

I’ll start with the government.  Our government hardly seems Constitutional anymore.  Many created laws do not abide by the words on which our country was founded and formed.  Many politicians do not look at problems constitutionally.  There was a candidate for the Republican nomination for president this year, Ron Paul, who is very constitutional.  He opposes a federal ban on gay marriage.  Why?  He believes it is a state issue—and it is.  Ron Paul does not support gay marriage, but he thinks it is something each individual state should take care of.  A lot of laws created by the federal government are ones that should be left to the states.  If some of the Founding Fathers could see what was going on in America today, they would probably be sorely disappointed.

The second issue I have with America is that our country has a media that gives off a very atheist air.  And while a large population of Americans are atheist or at least not true Christians, there are more Christians than the media would like to acknowledge.  Anyways, the media also uses this air to approve homosexuality, sex before marriage, teen pregnancy, swearing, alcohol and drug use, immorality, immodest clothing, etc.  It’s like America has turned from its beginning with strong morals, all because of what the media makes to appear cool and what’s right, according to them!

Two words sum up the final thing that I think should change in the U.S.: the economy.  Anyone old enough to really understand those words generally groans when they’re brought up.  Things are tough right now for pretty much every middle-class family.  Taxes are high, interest rates are low, college tuition is up, etc.  Things look bleak.  It’s interesting to realize that everything that should be lower is higher, and everything that should be higher is lower.  For example, the national debt on President Obama’s inauguration day three and a half years ago was 10.626 trillion dollars.  It’s gone up three trillion dollars, and experts predict it will soar another three trillion dollars.  That is just outrageous.  Something needs to be done about that, and it ain’t happenin’ with Obama.  It’s no wonder so many Americans are short-tempered.  The vast majority are stressed out about money issues.

So there you have it: three things I like about the United States and three things that need to change.

7 comments:

  1. Emma, I just have to tell you- I love it. It is very well written and I love the issues brought up in the things you dislike, they were very well thought out as well as written, I believe. I really agree with you on everything -from homeschooling to religious freedom to the atheist air. :) If you want to be critiqued, I suggest you take out the part where you said "I would wither like a flower during a drought." It is a little bit much, and sounds like something I would write, haha. :) But it's all up to you, and again, excellent job on your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am not here to disagree with you on your political beliefs. But what I would like to talk about your essay. First thing is that while it is okay to say ain't while speaking it is not correct to say it in an essay and use happening instead of happenin'.

    Another thing is that you have really strong essay but you tend to add things into it that don't belong. And while it sounds okay to put in, it really doesn't belong.

    I also feel like your conclusion should be longer instead of the one sentence you have. Your conclusion needs to wrap up your whole essay in more than one way. So maybe restate what you like and don't like instead if just saying these are the three things I like and don't.

    So your whole essay is really strong, but I feel like if ou fixed a few things it could be superb!

    Great job and I hope you don't take offense with what I have said.

    Love,

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm generally one to avoid ain't, but in this essay, since it was very much personal opinion, I felt it belonged. It adds flavor, in my opinion. :)

      Could you name a couple things? (Probably the part about Germany is one. I have problems with digressing, haha.)

      Yeah, see, I've never been a fan of repeating myself a ton. I figure, I've said it in that paragraph, I shouldn't have to say it again.

      And don't worry, I'm not offended. ;)

      Delete
  3. The first thing I think that you could take out is the comment about how you take our iPad everywhere with you so you take your Bible with you as well. Because while it is nice that you have your Bible on your iPad, I feel that you saying that you take your iPad everywhere is not key for this. Because it makes it seem like the only reason you have a Bible with you all the time is because you have your iPad with you all the time. Now if you are carrying your iPad with you so you can have your Bible is different that if you are carrying your iPad with you for other purposes. If that makes sense.

    At first I thought that this line should also be removed because of it's irrelevance: and we’ve only been a nation for 229 years (although that’s long, compared to a lot of the newer countries). But now I think that if you put a comma between years and although and removed the one between long and compared. This will help to make the statement stronger in my point of view.

    And third, yes it is the German one. Because while it was terrible what the Nazis, not Germans, did to the Jews, it is not relevant to your essay.

    And as for the last paragraph, no you shouldn't say it over again. Instead you restate it. I know that sounds the same, but it is not. You could say: I love the United States because of the facts that I have freedom of religion, great education opportunities, and the Lord has blessed this country. And while I love this country it had a few downfalls. These downfalls include the government, the way the media gives off an atheist air, an our economy. And while I do not like these parts of our country I am proud to say that I am an American.

    Okay I hope this helps! Good luck with your essay!

    Ky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Kylie. :) I guess I have a tendency to ramble when the essay is more personal,lol.

      As for the second one, that's a punctuation error.

      And as for the conclusion, I know what you mean (I had to conclusions where everything had to be restated in an English class) and it just bothers me....I feel like it means people weren't paying enough attention if they need a reminder. And less essay I wrote, my mom told me to shorten the conclusion to just one sentence, so that's why I'm doing it like that this time. :)

      Delete
    2. That makes sense for the conclusion.

      Ky

      Delete