October 12, 2012

VP Debate

I think last night's debate could be summed up in these two sentences: "When I was telling my mom about it, I started literally shaking and turning red because I was so excited/upset." "I wanted to bring Joe Biden to our house, tie him to a chair, and lecture him on manners."  However many good points you thought Biden had, he was totally disrespectful.  Note that Paul Ryan sat there when it wasn't his turn to speak, calmly and respectfully listening to Biden.  Biden interrupted so much, and the moderator (Martha somebody...I cannot remember her last name for the life of me :P.) let him!  Even thinking about it now makes me start to shake with anger.

If I counted correctly, I Tweeted 28 times and reTweeted 14 messages last night.  You can see everything I said if you go to my Twitter page (link to the right, and down a  bit), but I'll try and summarize everything the best I can.  I RTed when Madeleine McAulay said "YES!!! Ryan brings up Obama's choice to go on the View instead of meeting Netanyahu. #vpdebate" Many times throughout the night, I wanted Biden to stop laughing.  My bestie, Kate, (who I got to watch the debate) said "Biden is almost acting like they can't get a nuclear weapon, whereas Ryan believes they have the intelligence and is respecting them and stuff."  Another Tweet from the lovely Emma: "I'm trying to respect you, Biden, I really am.  But you just blatantly interrupted Ryan!"  Madeleine Tweeted two quotes from Ryan: "We're headed in the wrong direction" and "This is not a real recovery".  I said "BURN! #vpdebate "That one must've stung, VP Biden!" in response to Ryan saying, "As the VP knows, words don't always come out the way you always mean." (And I agree with that; it even happens to me.)  Joe Biden talked about instincts and common sense.  My responses? "My instincts tell me you're wrong.  Sorry, Biden. #vpdebate" "My common sense is telling me that voting for Obama would doom my future! #vpdebate" One of the best things I RTed during the night?  Alison Griswold (@alisongriz) said "guys, you can't blame Biden for giggling.  We all get the giggles in front of attractive, intelligent men..." In the midst of the debate, I realized I needed food and a hoodie, but I didn't want to pause the TV nor walk out of hearing range.  Thankfully, our kitchen is within hearing range of our TV, so I was able to grab something real quick.  And blessing of blessings, my clean laundry was in my basket in the living room, so I could grab a hoodie out of that. But back to the debate. xD I posted a picture on Instagram/Tweeted/FBed it.  I also said, "I just yelled at my TV.  Biden is making me go insane! #vpdebate" (If you're interested in what I said, I yelled "Shut up" when he was interrupting for the umpteenth time.) "I love how calmly and respectfully Ryan is sitting there.  He reminds me of a true leader.  Unlike Biden who freaks out. #vpdebate" I loved the discussion about abortion and the closing question.  During his closing statement, Biden said something to the effect of "I want parents to be able to look their kids in the eye and say, 'Honey, it's going to be okay.'" My response? "But, Biden, under Obama's presidency, my parents cannot say that to me! #vpdebate" And finally, a bit of humor during these serious moments: "One of the few things I disagree with Paul Ryan on: football teams. ;)"

I wanted to post this right now as soon as I was done typing the above paragraph at 7:50 AM CT, but I promised myself I would wait until this evening.  Why?  Well, last night on FB, I posed the question: "So now that the debate is over, I want to hear everyone's opinions on what was said!" I just want to make sure I have as many replies as possible, especially from the youth.  So when you finally read this, it'll have been twelve hours after I wrote the above stuff. :) But I promise I have not/will not edit a single word of it, except to correct any grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors I notice.

A mom of one of my good friends said: "Biden looked weird with his constant smirking.  Ryan was so polite that Biden took advantage of that by his rude interruptions."
The awesome Kate said, "I think Ryan hit some key points and had a cool head through the whole debate were as [whereas] Biden was being rude, interrupting and laughing almost the entire time." (Words in brackets mine.)
And finally, a friend of a friend said, "I think that Biden totally came out ahead, and hit all the right points. i thought Ryan looked kinda creepy. lol. i think Biden was a little rude tonight, but i think Romney was much more rude to Obama then Biden was to Ryan."

And there you have it, readers.  More of my thoughts this time.  But Joe Biden didn't impress me.  I was flabbergasted at his lack of manners and respect.  I feel it shows you just how separate the conservative and liberal worlds can be.

7 comments:

  1. I was watching last night, but you kept me well updated about things I missed :) You must really be into politics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of. This is the first election I've paid plenty of attention to. I'm four years older, of course, and I'm feeling more invested in my future.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I get that, I don't want America ruined for my future either because I want a fair chance at life too. I actually heard on the radio that Biden got two more minutes of time than Ryan did and Obama got four more minutes than Romney did... Romney was interrupting too, but I don't think it was fair for him to get four more minutes.

      Also I heard that on the CNN pole, Ryan won with 48% to 44%...

      Delete
  2. Yeah! Go Romney/Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not that into politics. However, Biden was rather rude. I noticed him smirking while Biden spoke, looking he was like--well, 12.
    I don't really have a strong opinion on who should be president (like I said, I'm not really into politics), but I have two words for Joe Biden: Grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean while Ryan spoke?

      Delete
    2. Yes :P. I hate typos, and I make so many of them :(.

      Delete