February 19, 2013

Why I Love Being Homeschooled

This morning, so far, I have done two algebra lessons and worked on my world history project (the history of fashion in the 1900s). Yesterday, I finished my world history assignments for the week and got two more algebra lessons done, along with reading Act III of Hamlet. There's just something I love about my school schedule and how I can get so much done in so little time (yesterday, I did less because I was at my grandparents' for half of the day).
When I was in public and private schools, I would often end up sitting around and waiting for my classmates to finish because I was done so quickly. Now, when I finish my work easily, I have more time to write and read and enjoy being a kid while I'm still young. I'm not saying hard work is bad because it's not. Hard work produces a good work ethic which makes one a better human being all around.

Let's take a moment to compare and contrast the Jamestown colony and Soviet Russia (and modern America). In Jamestown, the men were often unmotivated until a law was instilled that they could not eat until they'd worked. People will work to support themselves unless someone else is giving them free stuff (hi, President Obama). In Soviet Russia, everyone worked for the common good of the country and production was low. Yet, when a man works to support just his family (wife and a couple of kids), the production is often higher (not always, but most of the time). Why? Because family should be more important than a country where you're working to support people who don't do as much as you.

We recently had a discussion in my history class where this scenario was created. I was a doctor (something that made me laugh since most people who know me well cannot picture me as a doctor), and the only guy in the class (I'll call him S) was a truck driver. Both of us were paid the same amount of money, even though I was a doctor who saved lives and S just carted cargo. I also worked more hours. S got in a car accident, and it was my job to save his life. My response: "Why should I, when I earn the same amount of money as a truck driver, and I'll get paid whether he lives or not?" (S wasn't too happy about my decision. xD)

Anyways, back to my original topic because I've hopped down a VERY long bunny trail. A good work ethic comes from hard work, and I do work hard, even if it doesn't sound like I do a lot of school. But I love homeschooling because I can go from doing algebra to fashion design. How many people can say that? :)

Now I'm off to get back to work. I need to try and figure out what I should do for my topic for my English paper.

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wished I was home schooled. You make it sound so good! I actually asked my mom if she would let me be home schooled next year, but she said "most definitely not!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good. Sometimes I get all my schoolwork done before 9:00 am.

      Delete
    2. You must get up really early then, Birdie! I wake up around 8 and finish a little before lunch or sometimes after, depending on how much of my homework I decide to do.

      Delete
  2. Hear, hear! Homeschooling is definitely awesome. Especially since it means I get done by lunchtime and always get my birthday off (though I do have to make up the work in the surrounding days). And if I want to take a certain day off (like the first day of NaNoWriMo), I just have to get the work done before that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some people who do need free services for their well-being like free medical, but those who don't need it and can work but are too lazy is so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. There are people who need assistance, but too many people are taking advantage of this help.

      Delete
    2. I so agree. How irritating.

      Delete