The pies just keep coming! ;)
"We shared a slice of the Pie of the Day: LIVIN' ON A PEAR, featuring spiced Anjou pears under an angelic cloud of streusel topping." ~ pg. 319 of Serious Moonlight
Livin' on a Pear Pie
1 unbaked pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
6 medium pears, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1 t. lemon zest
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. butter, diced
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
dash of salt
4 T. butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping, squeezing together, with your hands if needed, to form small clumps. Set aside.
2. Peel and slice the pears and add to a large bowl. Add the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and butter. Gently toss to combine.
3. Place the pie crust in a prepared pie pan, trimming and crimping the edges if need-be. Arrange the filling in the crust, then cover with the streusel topping, going all the way to the edge.
4. Bake at 375 for one hour, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust and topping are golden brown. (I would recommend using a crust protector - a metal instrument that covers just the edges of the pie crust - once you see the crust start getting golden.)
5. Let cool, then serve with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce.
This has definitely been my favorite pie of the series, thus far. ^.^
Have a book/recipe suggestion for this post series? Leave it in the comments below, and I'll try to get to it soon! :)