December 9, 2019

Emma's Favorite NYC Bakeries and Coffee Shops

I swear, half the places I visited in New York were bakeries. And the list of food places I still want to try is mostly bakeries. I have a sweet tooth, honestly.

I talked about my favorite pie shops back in May, and obviously all of those are implicitly included in this list. But I've got several more favorites, so let's get started.


Doughnut Plant (Chelsea, Lower East Side, Grand Central, Prospect Heights-ish area)
I love donuts almost as much as pie and waffles. Just thinking about Doughnut Plant has my mouth watering. I went a few times, and though I can't remember everything I tried, I know the Brooklyn Blackout donut knocked it out of the park. I kept wanting to try their "dough-flower" (pictured below) but it was always sold out when I went! Even on weekdays!

Image credit: The Coverage


The Donut Pub (14th Street, Astor Place)
This one has more traditional cake donut flavors, and they were a great treat before/after church. Also, it just feels so neighborhood-y and old school inside.


The Doughnut Project (Greenwich Village)
I only got to stop in on a food tour at first, but they have so many fun flavors and if I hadn't had so many slices of pie that weekend, I would've definitely bought some donuts to-go. But when I went back to New York this fall, I popped over and got a rosé donut!


Blank Slate Coffee + Kitchen (NoMad, Midtown)
This is a trendy little place along Madison Avenue (with a new location in Midtown too). It was super crowded when I went semi-early on a Saturday morning, but I liked the waffle I had. The waffles are a bit small, so I'd recommend getting two. I squeezed in a little writing time while finishing my hot chocolate, then had to give up my seat at the large communal table as soon as I was done lol.


Maman (NoMad, SoHo, Tribeca, Greenpoint, Montreal, Toronto)
I love Maman with all my heart (even if they went and changed my favorite waffles on us, booooo; though the current variation sounds better than the ones I had in May, but still not as good as the lavender cornmeal berry waffles). Their lavender hot chocolate is amazing, and I loved the matcha rose limeade they did for summer 2018. They have several locations with the best pastries. My favorite location started getting really crowded so I stopped going for writing sessions, sadly. I'm loathe to tell people about it because I don't want them to grow any more in popularity (unless it means they'll expand into Brooklyn or down here to Virginia, lol), but honestly, I can't keep them a secret.


This bakery feels like it's been there for decades, if not centuries. The line is worth the wait (though it wasn't too long in the middle of a weekday afternoon). There's pie, cakes, cupcakes, and pastries. Everything you could ever want.


Levain (UWS)
Everyone knows about Levain, but their cookies are so so good, and so worth the wait. If you get the dark chocolate one, ordering a cup of milk is a must. Also, I'm that rare person who likes oatmeal raisin cookies, and theirs are superb.


One Girl Cookies (Brooklyn - DUMBO and Cobble Hill)
In my NY post a few weeks ago, I promised to talk more about One Girl Cookies. They make the cutest tea cookies, and my mom likes their whoopie pies, and you can sit and order tea too. The DUMBO location is more heavily trafficked, I think (though I've never had a long wait), but the Cobble Hill location feels homey and like a quintessential neighborhood spot. Cookie recs: the apricot almond, the chocolate mocha (which this non-coffee person loves), the seasonal shortbread, and the chocolate chip


Almondine (Brooklyn - DUMBO)
Confession: Almondine, OGC, and my next rec all came to me via Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han. And I'm so glad they did! I've gone to Almondine for macarons exclusively, but they have other lovely-looking pastries too.


Jacques Torres (Brooklyn - DUMBO)
This is less of a bakery and more of a chocolate shop, but it fits best on this list because of the legendary chocolate chip cookies which are delicious. I've also gotten chocolates on a few occasions, and my dad loves the drinking chocolate.


Little Cupcake Bakeshop (SoHo; Prospect Heights, Brooklyn)
You have to go solely for the Brooklyn Blackout cupcake. No excuses.


Sarabeth's (Chelsea Market)
If you're paying attention, I put this spot on the last list, too. But it's also a great place to get pastries like muffins and scones. The smaller Chelsea Market's location is best for this. And of course there's half a dozen other cute bakeries in Chelsea Market to boot, so you'll have your pick. 


If you have favorite New York bakeries and coffee shops, please share! I'd love ideas of where to go next time I'm in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...