May 9, 2020

From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen: Peanut Butter Muffins


This post is a little different from my typical baking posts. Usually I read a book and know instantly what I need to bake or cook from it. Occasionally I'm inspired by someone else's baking. This time, however, I did a recipe that went into one of my own manuscripts. So there'll be no excerpt from the book and no buy/read links. But I'll give a little background anyways.

The main character in the book I've been working on since 2016 loves to cook and bake. I tried to use baking scenes at several key moments throughout the story, and these muffins definitely appear during one of those scenes. She's contemplating a lot and actually screws up the baking process a little - but I promise I didn't make the same error...even though I made some others my first time around.

Peanut Butter Muffins





1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. peanut butter (I used smooth from Jif; you don't want one that's TOO sweet)
3/4 c. honey
1/3 c. milk
1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin tin with papers (you'll need about nine for full-sized muffins; if you make mini ones, it'll probably make twelve).
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the peanut butter, honey, milk, and egg. 
4. Add the peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. (I mixed the wet ingredients with my stand mixer, then added the dry ingredients, pausing to scrape the sides every so often.)
5. Fill the cups about two-thirds full.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. (If you do mini muffins, bake for 12-15 minutes.)

They're especially good warmed and spread with butter. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...