January 21, 2016

Professor Emma Teaches Classics Anew

So I don't know about y'all but there are some classics I like and others that are just so dry and dull that I can't imagine how they ever become renowned. But there's this trend of retelling classics, particularly in the YA world, and it's one I can definitely get behind. (Heck, I want to write a Hamlet retelling someday.) So the final class I'm teaching this spring at the Bibliophile University is...

 Classics Anew.

It would be all about retelling classic books, plays, fairytales, and legends, and I'd love to discuss with the students what elements from the original are needed to call it a retelling and not just "inspired by," and talk about what makes a good retelling (we'd definitely have to watch clips from Clueless and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries). 


Scratch that. Before I start rambling too much, here are the five books I'd assign for my students.

Required Reading
Recommended Reading
Are there any other retellings you'd teach? (There's a few upcoming ones I'm very interested in, but I obviously couldn't include them.) And would you want to take this class?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd want to take this class. But I have one question . . . WHERE'S CINDER?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't murder me, but...it just didn't feel right to include Cinder, if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. It makes sense. I don't agree with you, but I'm not going to murder you over it. xD

      Delete
    3. I love Cinder so much, so I really would include it in every post if I could.

      Delete
  2. I love this series of posts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...