May 25, 2016

From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen: Blueberry Scones


Summer means I get to bake with berries. I mean, I can bake recipes with them in the winter but then I have to use frozen berries, and where's the fun in that? You have to defrost the berries and they aren't usually as flavorful so I'd rather wait until summer.

Maine is known for its blueberries, and I'm so glad Michelle Dalton used this as a minor theme in Swept Away. The characters are all fans of blueberry pockets that they call "bloobs." I could've attempted to make those, I suppose, but I decided to bake blueberry scones instead.

The recipe produced scones I think one of my English professors would be quite proud of. (She's always making scones for her classes.)




Spiced Blueberry Scones
(makes approximately 18 scones)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
6 T. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 c. half-and-half
1/4 c. fresh blueberries, rinsed (I think I used closer to 1/3 of a cup)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the baking sheet.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the butter and stir until well-blended. In a different bowl, combine the vanilla, egg, and half-and-half. Stir into dry ingredients. Gently fold in the blueberries.
[Here the recipe says to roll out the dough and cut it, but because of the blueberries, I didn't think that was a good idea. So here are my modifications.]
Form the dough into small rough balls, probably about an inch or two inches across and an inch high. Space them out a bit on the baking sheet, probably six to eight at a time depending on the size of the sheet. 
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden-brown. Serve warm.


I am in love with these scones, y'all. I could've eaten five (but I limited myself to two). I might even make them sometime without the blueberries. 

Have a recipe/book suggestion for From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen? Leave it in the comments below!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...