June 28, 2017

Reading Challenges Update #2

It's been a while since I told y'all how my reading challenges were going, so I thought I'd check in!


The Rory Gilmore Challenge

So when updating my spreadsheet for this challenge recently, I realized I had read one of the titles in November. Which helps since I don't think I read any books for this challenge in February, March, or April. Oops. 

Actually, I take that back. Thanks to my Shakespeare class, I read Henry IV, Part I from February 25 to March 1. And now that I own The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, I should be able to knock the rest of the Shakespearean plays off the challenge list (the ones I hadn't already read prior to this challenge, at least).

Anyways, in May I read Jane Eyre, which I'd bought the Word Cloud Classics edition of way back in December.
At the beginning of June, I read two Nora Ephron memoirs, one of which is referenced in A Year in the Life, with the other being displayed on Lorelai's nightstand during "Fall." I didn't like the first one, but I did like the second one okay, and I can see why a friend who read it last fall for an assignment in our creative nonfiction class enjoyed it.

There are so.many. books in this challenge that it's hard to know where to start. Going alphabetically seems lame, so I'm trying to start with the ones that spark my interest the most. I think I'd be more motivated to read for this challenge (and the other one) if I actually put the books on my Goodreads TBR list, but it's already so long that I feel guilty whenever it grows bigger and I don't take anything off of it. So we'll see...

Anyways, I've now read 34 books out of 229 (and that counts the A Year in a Life referenced books), so I'd say that's fair progress, considering it's only 15% of the total challenge.


The Newbery Challenge

Like my Rory Gilmore challenge, this one sort of fell by the wayside, thanks to the challenges of spring semester. I did read The Westing Game in February, though, so I only slacked off March through May.

But! On the very first day of June, I read Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright. I didn't really like it, and I don't think I would've enjoyed it when I was younger either, but at least it was a short book. A few days later, I read A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck, which was all right. I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I'm not enjoying more Newbery winners. There has to be a reason they won, right?

Total, I've read 20 out of 35 books, or 57%. So I'd say I'm doing pretty well with this challenge, even if I did fall behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...