October 3, 2018

On Reading Fanfiction

WARNING: SPOILERS MAY ABOUND FOR VARIOUS FANDOMS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

I love to read. I also love TV shows, movies, and some web-series. So when all of those things end, what am I supposed to do when I want more of a certain character or wished the plot went a different way? I turn to fanfiction.

I don't read fanfic constantly. But I've had several core favorites over the years. 
~When Once Upon a Time killed off Neal and pushed Emma with Captain Hook, I turned to fanfic where Swanfire/Swan Thief thrived. (I may have even dabbled in writing some of my own.) 
~When Agent Carter was cancelled, I devoured fics about what happened after season two ended (or what might've happened instead). 
~When I needed more Miraculous: The Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir while waiting for episodes to hit U.S. channels, I found "Lucky Us," a delightful You've Got Mail-esque story.
~When I was in a reading slump, I found some of the best Pride & Prejudice fics I could ask for.

There is a certain fear in reading fanfic, when you find one that is unfinished and hasn't been updated in a few weeks. You don't want to fall in love, but you also want to give the story a chance. And then, of course, you love it, but it never gets updated and you mourn what could've been. (I'm looking at you, Once Upon a Time reformed into a Regency era Swanfire love story.) Or sometimes, the author regularly updates, but the fic starts to run so long that you grow weary of reading it. (Both the Dramione fics I liked, lol.)

But sometimes you find something short and sweet that warms your heart and makes you want to leave a thousand kudos.

So. Do you read fanfiction? If so, which fandoms do you seek out? Do you love certain tropes or ships? Let's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...