May 3, 2019

Random Friday: Unpopular Bookish Opinions


Want to participate in Random Fridays? Just do the following:
  • Include the above image in your post and link back to my blog.
  • Blog about this week's topic (or a variant of it).
  • Add the link to your Random Friday post at the bottom of this one.

I feel like a black sheep about a lot of books, so it's time for my bookish opinions that maybe not all that many people share!

1. There's too much drinking/drug use in YA.
Just because teens are doing it doesn't mean we should promote it.


2. Red Queen is vastly overrated. 
It doesn't do anything new and innovative, and its cover is as boring as all-get-out.


3. Vampires do not need to make a comeback.
Listen, I loved Renee Ahdieh's debut duology, but the paranormal trend died for a reason. (I'm pretty much over dystopia and Fae for the same reason.) 


4. Historical fiction is one of the best genres.
Most YA historical fiction is so underrated, and every year, there are so few published titles. There's way more adult historical fiction, but adults aren't the only people who find history interesting. And if we want kids and teens to like history, good fiction is a great way to do that. I love history because of the American Girl books.


5. I wish there was more variety in the books that win awards.
I'd love to see some quieter titles win the big ones. I love The Hate U Give and The Poet X, but I wasn't surprised at all that they won so many awards. There are plenty of underappreciated diverse children's/YA books!


6. Dumplin' the movie is better than Dumplin' the book.
I said what I said. *insert shrugging emoji*


7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is in my top three Harry Potter books.
Idk why but I get the vibe that most people don't like this one, but I do!! (My other faves are Prisoner of Azkaban, of course, and Half-Blood Prince.)


8. I didn't like What If It's Us.
It just felt a bit...lacking, considering what a power author duo Becky and Adam are.


9. The royalty-in-disguise/doesn't-know-they're-royalty trope is overused, especially in YA.
I'm not going to list any books that use this trope (so as not to spoil them for you), but there are too many.


10. Not every book needs a romance.
So many romances feel shoehorned in or lacking because the book just plain doesn't need them. I want romantic relationships that I can actually root for, so if they're going to be subpar, I just don't want them.


Not particularly an unpopular opinion, but something that needs to be said:
11. If authors of color are being held accountable for their problematic books and pulling them from publication, then white authors need to be held to the same standards. The Continent and its sequel should not be seeing the light of day.



What are your unpopular bookish opinions?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. STORMS YES to #10. Not everyone needs to get the girl/guy to be happy, and books need to recognize that more. Also, #3 is very true.

    Regarding #9: I agree that both tropes are getting a TINY bit old, but they're also tropes that are SO easy to make more interesting with a properly interesting character that I don't want them to go anywhere anytime soon. I just want authors to start taking the more interesting twists. (But I also love suddenly-shoved-into-power narratives, so that might have something to do with it.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...