September 25, 2015

Emma Recommends Diverse Books

Back in July, I had a survey (it's actually still available if any of y'all want to take it) about diverse books - your reading habits and diverse books on my blog. Because of that, I'm trying to consistently do at least one post a month about diverse books. So this month's is a list if you're trying to find some more diverse books to read. Many of these are ones I've enjoyed; others are ones I've seen recommended. I'll probably do another post in November or December with more titles, so don't think these are all I know about! In addition, there is some overlap of titles.


RELIGIOUSLY DIVERSE TITLES

Like No Other by Una LaMarche (Judaism)
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed (Islam)
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (a fantasy form of Christianity)
Margot by Jillian Cantor (Judaism)
Deception's Princess by Esther Friesner (pagan Irish beliefs)


MENTAL ILLNESS/PHYSICAL DISABILITIES
Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern (OCD and cerebral palsy)
The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno (split personality disorder)
Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (OCD)
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga (depression)


POC PROTAGONISTS
Endangered by Lamar Giles
This Side of Home by Renee Watson
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
(Also Like No Other, Written in the Stars, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, and My Heart and Other Black Holes.)

So now it's your turn! Do you know of any diverse books you think I should read? And please, continue to let me know what you want to see on Awkwordly Emma when it comes to diversity in literature.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these titles Emma. There were many here that I had never heard of before :)

    http://ofstacksandcups.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...