August 26, 2017

Professor Emma Teaches YA Heroines in History...Again

The second class I'm teaching this semester is one of my favorites. This should come as no surprise, because every so often, I mention how much I love historical fiction, particularly when the protagonist is a girl.

The recommended reading list has grown quite a bit since last time I taught the class (spring 2016), and I changed up the required reading list a teeny bit, but let's get started, shall we?

Required Reading:
Recommended Reading:

~Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
~Deception's Princess by Esther M. Friesner
~Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
~Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
~Cinder & Sapphires by Leila Rasheed
~Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman
~Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse
~The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
~Wait for Me by Caroline Leech
~These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
~I'm Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil
~The Notorious Pagan Jones by Nina Berry
~Velvet Undercover by Teri Brown
~Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin
~The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters
~Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
~Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee
~The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Waller
~Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman
~Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


So go forth and read, my students, about the fictional women who made history in these books...and then go study up on the real women who have shaped history.

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved taking this course when I was in college. My history geek heart is longing to sign up now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...