March 20, 2014

Hidden Covers

I loaned my copy of Insurgent to a couple friends recently, and I took off the dust jacket to keep it safe.  In doing so, I discovered what the cover underneath looks like (I'd never noticed before).  It's definitely cool, and it got me thinking about other books and what their dust jackets hide.  So I was on a mission to find all cool book bindings, whether they have a beautiful design stamped on them, their colors are pretty, or their spines look cool.  I examined my own shelves, stopped by my local bookstore, even looked a bit prior to Elizabeth Eulberg's event at The Book Stall, and spent over an hour at Barnes & Noble (and got several strange looks to boot).  Ready to see what I found?


The Pretty Colors




Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone, Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt, and The Winner's Curse have such visually-appealing colors on their bindings.  And Time Between Us is slightly shimmery!

The Spines





The books included in this set are Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill, Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano, All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

The Stamped Designs

I had to include Divergent and Insurgent of course.  I liked that Allegiant had the stamped symbol, too, but the colors weren't as pretty for me.












Books featured here: Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore, Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, Mind Games by Kiersten White, The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (which also has an awesome spine), The Elite by Kiera Cass (I can't wait to see what The One's binding looks like!), Unhinged by A.G. Howard, Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross, Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg, and Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith.

What do you think of the above pictures?  Do you know of any cool hidden covers?  If you do, tweet a picture to @emmasaska, and I'll retweet it!

7 comments:

  1. I love the 'hidden covers', though I discover them more than you do. I hate reading books with the dust jackets on, so I always take them off to read the books. (Unless the book is a library book, in which case the dust jacket is covered by one of those plastic things and it's attached to the book.) I can't think of any really awesome 'hidden covers' I've found, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking a dust jacket off and discovering something underneath. I always take the jackets off hardcover before I read them because I'm scared I'll mess them up so I've discovered quite a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think if I owned that many hardbacks I'd probably leave the covers off of them, they look really cool without. I have a copy of Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, that has a really cool hidden cover, Miss Peregrine's signature.

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love the perfect ruin one! Beautiful! I take the dust jackets off while reading so I always look at my pretty "naked" books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool post idea! I started looking at all the book spines/real hardcovers recently and my favorites are definitely The Selection and The Elite with the tiara on them. Your picture of Going Vintage looks awesome too. :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, Julianne, and I love to take the dust covers off books and admire them. We were all quite enthralled with Unhinged, which made me bite the bullet and get the book (AND it has a gorgeous cover!). We were also quite pleased that they included the Lunar crest on the Cress hardback (it's not on the other two). Unfortunately, I somehow got a messed up copy of Scarlet and it's only thick cardboard-like stuff under the dust jacket! Quite the disappointment!

    Also, now I have to go home and strip The Selection and The Elite of their covers...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...