March 29, 2014

So You Like... #1

Welcome to my new sporadic feature post!  I had a lot of fun doing an upcoming TTT post for which I chose 10 books for anyone who likes _____ TV show (not revealing which one until it gets closer), and I wanted to do more of these posts.  I plan to start off with certain genres, but I'll also do books, movies, and TV shows interspersed throughout.  This time, it's going to be...


So You Like FUTURISTIC YA FICTION.

Let's get started!  I hope this turns out well because this is my first time doing something like this. (By the way, all covers will link you to the Goodreads page for each book.)

If you liked...

2767052

try...

The Testing (The Testing, #1)

Both The Hunger Games and The Testing incorporate deadly competitions.  However, The Testing is definitely not a rip-off of THG.  It's more about a futuristic college, and the students don't have to kill, nor do they need to be the last one standing.  The president in The Testing trilogy also appears to be good, quite unlike President Snow.

If you liked...

11614718

try...

7735333

Both worlds involve love.  However, from what I know of the Delirium trilogy, love is not something you want to experience and the government even rids you of romantic feelings.  Whereas with Matched, you're paired with your...you guessed it, match.  You are then expected to court and marry this significant other.

If you liked...

10507293

try...

Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)

Landry Park is actually pitched as "Downton Abbey meets The Selection," so I definitely think this would be a good fit if you're a Kiera Cass fan.  I haven't had the opportunity to read Landry Park yet, but our library system finally had a copy that I requested.

If you liked...

3636

try...

13335037

Why?  Both have societies where, when you reach a certain age, you are assigned a career or you choose your faction.  Both are seemingly perfect worlds (although the problems in the Divergent world are much more apparent), and both have protagonists that have to make difficult choices.

If you like...

8525590

try...

9297774

The main connection between these two trilogies is that the main role of girls' is to give birth and replenish the Earth's population.  I also found similarities in the protagonists' desires to escape.

So there you have it!  The first "So You Like..." with ten different books.  Now, say you've read Divergent, but not The Giver.  I say take my advice in reverse.  I hope you found some new books to try, and I can't wait for y'all to see the next "So You Like..." post.  Any votes on what you want me to do next?

3 comments:

  1. Cool post idea! And great recommendations, though I haven't read many of them. I'll have to look into some of them next time I'm in need of something new to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, love this feature! I've heard great things about Landry Park, looks like I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I loved The Hunger Games and The Selection so I'm definitely going to have to try The Testing and Landry Park :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...