January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Wishlist


I'm actually going to go off of all the ideas I wrote down from RBWL for this one and talk about my ten favorites!

1. Lost Boys and Lost Girls
It would be fun to see what they'd be like without Pan...and add in Lost Girls, too.

2. More Asian characters
I talked about this about a month ago.  There needs to be more Asian characters who aren't stereotypically smart and school-loving.

3. Fairies with a dark twist.
And I don't mean dark twist like Tiger Lily.  That's more bleak than dark.  No, I mean dark fairies who think of themselves as good.  Can't you just picture their wings?  They'd be butterfly wings in shades of black, purple, navy blue, etc.

4. Southern epics
You know, along the lines of Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird.  They don't necessarily have to be historical, because a modern Southern epic could be fun.

5. Different retellings
I love Pride and Prejudice.  I enjoy many retellings of it.  But it's overdone.  I want to see Anne of Green Gables retellings or origin stories, perhaps from Gilbert's POV.  I want retellings of Austen's other novels.  I want retellings of Shakespearean plays other than Romeo and Juliet.

6. In between contemporary and dystopian.
Have you ever noticed how, in dystopian or futuristic books, the government or system has been like it is for awhile?  I'd like to see something right after whatever causes the world to change and go dystopian and see how the government is set up and created.

7. Biblical times
Something set in Biblical times would be awesome.  It would be even better if someone like Esther or King David made a cameo.

8. Animals
I'd love to see more books about animals, along the lines of Misty of Chincoteague, Old Yeller, and Where the Red Fern Grows.  The animal's death at the end is optional.

9. Non-absentee parents
You know what I think would be hilarious?  Non-absentee parents in fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopian who love their kids and demand an explanation when their kids act strangely are start disappearing randomly.  The resulting conversation could be hysterical as the kid tries to make up a fabulous lie or tells the truth.

10. More what-ifs.
I loved Margot.  I think it would be fun if authors played with more historical what-ifs, like... "What if the British had won the American Revolution?" "What if JFK hadn't been assassinated?" "What if we hadn't acquired the Louisiana Purchase?"  And maybe things more exciting than that.  But that's what I thought of, off the top of my head. ;)

13 comments:

  1. About a month ago I literally thought I want to create what if books like the British winning the revolutionary war (seriously, first one that came to my head!). I guess it's to easy to think of though......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought of Biblical times. Now that'd be cool. I read an adult book once that was a Jew in those times and had some Biblical aspects, like adding in John the Baptist and it was when the Romans were persecuting the Jews. It was a great insight. And I LOVE the idea of more what-ifs. Right up my alley as well as most of your ideas really :) ANNE OF GREEN GABLES RETELLING *fangirls*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo...what-if books sound like they would be fun reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see a book featuring the Lost Boys and Lost Girls, and I'd also love to see different retellings too, I think that would be really cool! :)


    My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2014/01/20/wishlist/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stories set in biblical times as well. I especially love Queen Esther. Try reading Hadassah: One Night with the King & see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Southern epics and biblical times would be really cool!i also have non absentee parents on my list!!

    Here is my TTT: http://theirishbookworm.blogspot.ie/2014/01/top-ten-tuesday-things-on-my-reading.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have non-absentee parents and functional families on my list, too - seems to be a popular theme today! Biblical times... give Taylor Caldwell's Dear and Glorious Physician a try; it's about St. Luke. Animals - we need a modern Jean Craighead George.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Biblical times would be awesome!! I can't believe I've never thought of that. And I love the idea of what-ifs! That would be so interesting to see how different life would be now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some really great ideas in this post. I'm with you all the way on the Southern Epic novel!!!
    Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone who stopped by! Sorry I don't have time to reply to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore this list. I love the idea between contemporary and dystopian--I'd love to see the world right after everything started changing instead of when everything is falling apart. I think Rachel would absolutely flip out if someone did a retelling of Anne. (She probably wouldn't want to read it--she loves Anne and Gill too much.) And also a big yes with Bible retellings! First Date was a pretty cute Esther-inspired story. (I stalked your goodreads to see what you've read.)

    As for dark fairies, I was going to suggest Splintered, but I see that you've already read it. While not necessarily fairies, I think it has that feel you're looking for. I'd also suggest Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey series. It's probably not as dark as you're hoping for (it's actually quite humorous at some parts in between the running from creepy out-to-kill monsters of the fairy world), but the story is good and the characters are amazing.

    -JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I would love more what if books! Also like the idea of different retellings. Great picks :)

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the idea of Anne of Green Gables from Gilbert's POV. Gilbert has always been my view of a perfect man;) It would be interesting to hear his hear his thoughts on all of Anne's schemes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...