February 2, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Historical Settings I Want More Of


Guys, I was so excited when I saw this week's topic. I've made it very clear I love historical fiction, and I always want more of it. There's too little of it in the YA publishing world, and what there is seems to focus a lot on World War II and the Victorian/Edwardian era in England. So here are the ten settings I'd like to see more of.


1. Renaissance Italy and the Netherlands
I recently read Da Vinci's Tiger, and it wasn't my favorite, but it definitely reminded me how fascinating the Renaissance was. It was the biggest in Italy and the Netherlands so that's where authors could focus their stories.

2. Colonial America
My parents are history buffs, and the Revolutionary War is one of their favorites. Obviously, this could capitalize on the popularity of Hamilton so there could be a lot of adult crossover appeal, but I'll take stories set earlier in the colonization of the United States. (But, please, keep the star-crossed Patriot/Loyalist love stories to a minimum.)

3. Africa in the 1700s and 1800s
I've realized how little I know about Africa's history in general, except for a few key moments. So I want more African historical fiction in general but I feel like the 1700s and 1800s could be especially interesting.

4. Regency-era England
Ok, so there are at least a handful of YA titles set during this time period but I love Jane Austen so much so I'm always up for books set during her life.

5. Revolutionary France
And not just during the French Revolution. The 1800s were such a time of upheaval and unrest for France. Give me all of that.

6. 1950s United States
Something like The Help for YA would be nice, or set in California, or just anything. 

7. World War I (anywhere)
World War I isn't as common in YA fiction as World War II, so let's see more of it!

8. Tsarist Russia
I always want more great YA titles set during the tsarist era in Russian history (and yes, I'm very much looking forward to The Crown's Game).

9. Eastern Europe during any time
If YA historical fiction is set in Europe, it's usually England or France, or maybe Germany or Italy. So let's see Eastern Europe, please! Ruta Sepetys has given us a little of this, but I want more!

10. China and Japan
Just in general, I really desire more books set in Eastern Asia but historical fiction would be even better, during the time of the earlier dynasties of China and the samurai in Japan.

So what historical settings do you want to see more of? Which are your favorites?

6 comments:

  1. I could definitely stand to read more Regency-era YA historical fiction! More Jane Austen-esque stories would be wonderful :)

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out our giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've picked so many amazing historical settings! I'd love to read more books set in a lot of these times too. I really want more books set in the earlier dynasties of China! I'd also love books about the Japanese samurai, that would be amazing.

    Here's my TTT post if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renaissance Italy for sure, and revolutionary France as well. Would love to see more of both of those. And I'd like to see more of Eastern Europe as well- seems like there is so much culture there to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TSARIST RUSSIA. YES. I'm so obsessed with the Romanovs that I would just lap up any YA fiction set in that time period. My TTT.

    Grace @ That Peculiar Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several recommendations for you on some of these categories in adult fiction :-P My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see more of the Renaissance era and the samurai of Japan. :)


    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...