July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best/Worst Movie Adaptations

People always say the movie isn't as good as the book.  That's often true.  But some movies are a good adaptation.  After all, a director's vision is different than the author's, and you can't fit an entire book into two hours.  So here are 5 books that I think had good adaptations, and five that I think didn't.

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


1. Pride and Prejudice: Both the 1995 mini-series and the 2005 movie definitely did the book justice.  I liked how the mini-series stayed so true to the book, but I liked the cast better in the 2005 version.
2. The Hunger Games: It stayed fairly true to the book.  I enjoyed getting a glimpse of the Gamemakers; their actions confirmed a lot of Katniss's thoughts and the commentary from Caesar and Claudius was a good substitution for the book's narration.
3. Charlotte's Web (animated): Okay, sure, it wasn't exactly the same as the book.  But this was a childhood favorite of mine.  And since I was in a musical production of Charlotte's Web, I can sing along... :)
4. Little Women (1994): This was one of the movies of my childhood.  I had (probably still have it) on VHS, and I would watch it whenever I had a cold or the flu.  Little Women was one of my favorite books when I was little, so that certainly helped.
5. The Help: I've read the book and watched the movie, and I actually found the movie to be better.  All the actresses, especially Octavia Spencer, brought such life to the characters and made them seem like Aibileen, Minny, Skeeter, and all the rest were real people.  Plus, I found the movie to actually be more appropriate than the book.

And now for the worst.

6. Ella Enchanted: I saw the movie before I read the book (although my mom wanted me to read the book first, it was checked out at our local library), but I liked the book much more.  The way they changed it was horrendous.  I could tolerate the singing.  But not how the plotline changed so drastically.
7. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief: Just...no.
8. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: I'm talking about the recent adaptation.  I mean, this one wasn't horrendous, but it was pretty darn awful.  All the changes ruined it quite a bit.  And Susan and Caspian liking each other? What was up with that?
9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp version): I mean, what was that?  It was horrifyingly creepy and nothing, nothing can rival Gene Wilder's version.  He's the perfect version of Willy Wonka-eccentric but still remotely normal.
10. Tuck Everlasting: I never liked the idea of a grown-up Winnie.  To be honest, the book was pretty disturbing, too.

And a couple honorable mentions (these didn't quite make the best adaptations list).
A Walk to Remember (Even though it had its differences from the book, I still loved it and cried.)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Well done, and a beautiful use of CGI.)

8 comments:

  1. I have Little Women the same as you this week. I absolutely love that movie. I have The Help on my want to watch but scared to watch because I adored the book list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, the actresses (and actors) really brought the characters to life. I'd say give it a try. ;)

      Delete
  2. I saw The Help but haven't read the book. Probably not going to because I really didn't like the movie. Only saw it because I think Emma Stone is brilliant!

    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lightning Thief was so awful. I have my fingers crossed that Sea of Monsters and Titans Curse is a lot better.

    And the help was amazing! It is one of my favorite books and movies.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have high hopes for Sea of Monsters; the trailer looks too different from the book. I'll probably wait to rent it on DVD, unless a friend wants to go see it.

      Delete
  4. I just never really liked A Walk to Remember and seeing that I loved The Notebook, it's kind of bothering. Anyway, The Hunger Games is such a hit today and rightly so! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the Percy Jackson movie's rate. It was like a completely alternate plot line! Did you hear that they are making The Sea of Monsters into a movie? I'm definitely waiting until it's at the library to watch it-it doesn't deserve my going to see it at the theatre!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...