November 12, 2019

Why I Love If I'm Being Honest

I read Always Never Yours last year, and thought it was okay. But then when I saw If I'm Being Honest in an airport this spring, I took a chance on it...and didn't regret the purchase at all. It's easily in my top five favorites of 2019. So here's why you need to read Wibbroka's sophomore novel, if you haven't already.



1. The swoonworthy love interest
Brendan is the sweet, nerdy boy of a YA protagonist's dreams.


2. The friendships that develop and change
Cameron, the main character, has an established friend group at the beginning of the book, but as she looks to improve herself, she befriends Paige and Paige's friends. And Cameron's friend group from the beginning changes a bit as Cameron realizes who she truly wants to be. I love friendship plot lines, and these are so realistic.


3. Cameron learning how to be a kinder version of herself
If I'm Being Honest is inspired by The Taming of the Shrew, which is one of my least favorite Shakespeare plays. But whereas Katherine seemingly becomes a shell of her former self, Cameron learns how to temper her opinions and to still be herself...but kinder.


4. The unapologetically alpha type heroine
Cameron is absolutely the type to kick butt and take names. There's a reason I paired this book with Taylor Swift's "The Man," a few months ago. Cameron is bossy and opinionated, and she's always embraced those aspects of her personality. It was refreshing to see a protagonist who didn't have to extinguish her true spark for her love interest and friends.


46225216. sy475

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...