May 15, 2014

So You Like... #3

Last time on So You Like..., I provided options for if you liked the first 6 (well, technically 7) chronological American Girl dolls. (Click here if you missed that post.) Now I'm going to finish that post with the remaining girls.

So You Like THE AMERICAN GIRL BOOKS
(Covers link to the Goodreads pages.)

If you like Addy Walker... (1864)

try...

11235712

And this is where everyone thinks I've gone crazy.  Hear me out.  A friend suggested Cinder for Addy, and I agreed.  The cyborgs aren't entirely treated like slaves, but they are definitely treated like sub-par citizens, just like black people were.


If you like Samantha Parkington... (1904)

try...

18053060

I chose Dorothy Must Die for two reasons: a) because I'm recommending it every chance I get, and b) because Samantha loves The Wizard of Oz so she would probably be interested in this twist on the original tale. (I also thought of A Mad, Wicked Folly and Cinders & Sapphires when considering books for her.)


If you like Rebecca Rubin... (1914)

try...

13721335

Rebecca dreams of becoming an actress, so I thought a book that revolves around Hollywood (albeit 20 years later) would be a good choice for her.


If you like Kit Kittredge... (1934)

try...

11983940

Kit loves the tale of Robin Hood, so I decided that this retelling would be a good fit for her. (Fun fact: I also considered On the Fence for her because of the protagonist's tomboyish personality.)


If you like Molly McIntire... (1944)

try...

17262236

Set during the same era as Molly, Rose Under Fire is about a female pilot, something I think Molly would find interesting since her aunt became a pilot.


If you like Julie Albright... (1974)

try...

12924304

Julie was alive smack dab in the middle of the feminist movement, and I think she'd appreciate these strong, intelligent females.

Well, that's everyone!  I hope you found some new reads, and stay tuned for the next So You Like... Any votes on what you want it to be?

1 comment:

  1. I never read the American Girl doll books, but cool post all the same.

    For the next So You Like, maybe a Shakespeare theme? If you like x play, you'll like y book?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...