February 18, 2017

Contemporary: the Genre I Both Love and Hate

There's something about contemporary YA that is utterly irresistible to me. I think it's because the characters live in our world, yet extraordinary things happen to them, so I feel like there's hope for the rest of us. 

Eight of my favorite books last year are contemporary, and if I included previous years, that number would be much higher than fantasy or even historical fiction. Yet, my average rating for contemporary YA last year was only 3.1 stars.

So why does this happen?

Do I have higher expectations for contemporary YA, since it's my favorite genre?

Is contemporary an easier genre to write, therefore more not-so-great authors write it?

Is there a formula for the contemporary YA books I like that I haven't figured out yet?


Every year, I vow to be choosier in the contemporary YA I read. As of writing this post in late January, I'd only read four contemporary books, and I'd rated them 3 stars, 2 stars, 5 stars, and 4 stars. So my resolution isn't going too well so far.

Why do I dislike so many contemporary books, yet like so many of them too??

Do you relate to this at all, with whatever genre is your favorite? Do you have any tips for me?

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY RELATE! I love and hate fantasy, it's my favorite genre. While I tend to love the stories, I'm much harsher on them and I think that's because my expectations are so high :) a lot of my favorite books are fantasy so I get where you're coming from. This is an interesting discussion post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...