March 8, 2017

Review: My Faire Lady

17375024
My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten
Grade: C
Summary: Rowena Duncan is a thoroughly modern girl with big plans for her summer—until she catches her boyfriend making out with another girl. Heartbroken, she applies to an out-of-town job posting and finds herself somewhere she never expected: the Renaissance Faire.

As a face-painter doubling as a serving wench, Ro is thrown headfirst into a vibrant community of artists and performers. She feels like a fish out of water until Will, a quick-witted whip cracker, takes her under his wing. Then there’s Christian, a blue-eyed stunt jouster who makes Ro weak in the knees. Soon, it’s not just her gown that’s tripping her up.

Trading in the internet and electricity for stars and campfires was supposed to make life simpler, but Ro is finding that love is the ultimate complication. Can she let the past make way for her future?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I bought this book without reading it back in 2014 (which is rare for me; I normally don't take a chance on a book unless it's an auto-buy author). I really enjoyed it at the time and had reread it once or twice since. But after my most recent reread, my opinion changed a little.
My Faire Lady is definitely light and reads slightly better than the average Disney Channel original movie, although the pretty much completely happy ending definitely reminded me of a DCOM.
I liked the descriptions of Ro's art, and I totally shipped her and Will from the beginning, but the book lacked little moments that would have made this a better book. The time length in the book felt a little too short for all the substantial things that happen. I also needed a little more substance in all of Ro's friendships. I couldn't see why she, Kara, and Meg got along, and her new friendship with Suze felt like it wasn't built on anything but the fact that they shared a tent and Suze trained Ro at the tavern. I really liked the setting of the Ren Faire, but Christian was totally unnecessary as a character. He was just there to cause drama and create a mini love triangle. I was happy with how things resolved between Ro and her parents, though. Towards the end, she tells them she wants to go to art school and although they're a bit dismayed at first, I can see their logic and they do come around (if a bit quickly). (Also even though Ro seemed to just want to be a painter, I could totally see her making a good elementary school art teacher.)
There was underage drinking and talk about sex. No foul language.

The Verdict: A fun romp that probably shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's good if you're looking for something light.


Will I be adding this book to my library?: I already did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...