May 23, 2016

Writing Prompt #5

Time for another prompt!

Day #9: Think of any word and search it on Google images. Write something inspired by the seventh image.

I stared at my bookcase for a while, trying to come up with a word from a book title that might produce something good. I decided on thorns. This was the seventh image:


I ended up writing a poem. It's currently untitled, so if y'all have any ideas, feel free to comment below. I also don't think the poem is complete yet, but it feels complete in this moment. Apologies for how dreary it is. I tend to write a lot of hopeless poems, even though I love happy endings.


The moon sits
high in the sky,
farther than it looks.

My fingers stretch.
I think I can grasp it,
if I only try hard enough.

The barbs tear my fingers;
I withdraw, clutching
my bleeding fingers to my chest.

I sit, huddled on a bed
of dead leaves and fear.

My shoulders,
hunched against the cold,
my hair, wild and unkempt
from years of neglect.

I have grown under this bush,
lived here for years.
Soon I will be too big,
and the thorns will tear me

unless, I curl smaller and smaller.
No room to move
under the briars,
no room to do anything
but fade away.

So what image did you pull up on Google? What did it inspire you to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...