January 3, 2019

Rewind to 2018: My Year in Reading

It's time for my yearly breakdown of my reading, reviewing, and acquiring stats! Y'all probably hate this post, but it feeds my Type A desires, lol, so I'm probably never going to stop doing it. (And here's my usual disclaimer that I am human and fallible and some of these numbers won't quite match, but I am trying my best.)


Number of Books I Read
(including DNFs and [multiple] rereads)
299
(not including DNFs and rereads)
202

Number of Rereads
(including multiple rereads of the same book and rereads of a book I read for the first time in 2018)
78 books (As far as I can tell, I only reread two books more than once, which is a bit low for me. Usually I reread P.S. I Like You and The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You multiple times each year.)

Pages Read
(DNFs and rereads not included)
69,200 pages


Longest and Shortest Books Read
(rereads not included)
Longest: Kingdom of Ash with 992 pages (And I read it multiple times too, because of work, lol.)
Shortest: Sounder with 116 pages
That's a 876-page difference between the two. O_O
And my average number of pages was: 342


Number of Books Acquired
(Not including e-galleys; also, I should disclose that I have sold some of the books since and traded/given away some of the ARCs. Another disclosure: I didn't buy all these books; if I had, I would be ridiculously broke.)
166 books 

Number of Books Reviewed
59 books, which is a little less than last year, but that's okay. I still read a lot, and I probably would've reviewed more, but after June, I couldn't review all the Bloomsbury titles I was reading early.

Number of Books Read by Diverse Author/with Diverse Characters
(This category is always a guessing game because sometimes it is unclear if a character is diverse, and authors don't always disclose personal details. [Which I'm not shaming them for; that's their choice.])
(Rereads not included; authors are hopefully not included more than once)
Authors: 61 - so 30% of my overall reading total. Not as good as it should be, but I think that might be progress from last year?
Books: 80

Number of Books Read by Genre
(rereads not included)
Contemporary: 70 - Contemporary is queen, as always.
Fantasy: 29 
Historical fiction: 23
Science fiction: 2
Mystery/thriller: 14
Middle grade: 24 - I think this is due mainly to all the middle grade books I read at work.
Memoir: 11
Classics: 4 books - Hopefully the RGC will boost this next year!
History: 7
Other (includes Christian, children's, and nonfiction among others): 25 books


Number of Books Read by Rating
(rereads not included)
5 stars: 6
4.5 stars: 6
4 stars: 70
3.5 stars: 26
3 stars: 71
2.5 stars: 7
2 stars: 12
1 star: None!
DNF: 9

Average Rating per Genre
Contemporary: 3.4 stars
Historical fiction: 3.1 stars
Fantasy: 3.2 stars
Science fiction: 3 stars (I mean, I only read two sci-fi books this year, and one got 2 stars and the other got 4.)
Mystery/thriller: 3.4 stars
Middle grade: 3.3 stars
Memoir: 3.1 stars
Classics: 3.9 stars
Other: 2.2 stars

Number of Books Read by Publisher
(rereads not included)
Bloomsbury: 32 (I mean, I'm an intern there, so did we expect anything different?)
Canterbury Classics: 1 (Well that's sad.)
Disney-Hyperion: 9
HarperCollins: 46 
Hachette: 8
Macmillan: 26
Penguin Random House (realized I should probably be combining them at this point): 30 
Scholastic: 8
Simon & Schuster: 20
Sourcebooks: 10
Other: 27

Books Read per Month
(DNFs and rereads included)
January: 35 (And it all went downhill from here, lol.)
February: 25
March: 23
April: 14 (13 new books and 1 reread. April sucked.)
May: 24
June: 27
July: 24
August: 20
September: 27 
October: 23
November: 24
December: 21
So my average is...24 books. Not too bad. Most months were pretty consistent, except for January and April.


Average Rating per Month
(DNFs included, rereads not included)

So, I removed a lot more books from my TBR rather than DNFing them, which certainly helped ratings, but I definitely read a bunch of pretty meh stuff.

January: 3.2
February: 3.3
March: 3.25
April: 3.4
May: 3.4
June: 3.2
July: 3.4
August: 3.2
September: 3 (I had three DNFs this month, so that totally killed the average. Otherwise, it would've been 3.7.) 
October: 2.95 (Ouch.)
November: 3.5 (No 5-star reads, but I guess I had enough 4-star reads to balance everything else out. And I only had one book I rated lower than 3 stars.)
December: 3.5 (Not a bad note to end the year on.)

Number of 2019 Releases I've Already Read
17! I'd say that's pretty impressive. :)
I'd partially like to thank my internship for this, and also I got approved for a bunch of HarperCollins e-galleys?? Which helped tremendously.


Any reading stats of your own for 2018 that you want to share? How many books did you read last year? (It's so weird to be saying "last year" about 2018.) Did you meet your reading goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...